EUROPE-SPAIN/Castilla & Leon-Burgos, Segovia

WORLD FAMOUS BUILDINGS

l_flag_spain.gif

From 'Explore worldwide' 1999,The world atlas of architecture/J.J.Norwich 1988,http://www.christusrex.org/www1/medina/segovia/segovia.htm

 

Burgos Station
  
 Burgos, Castilla & Leon



 Photo by Byunguh Yu on 5 November 2007.

 

Roman Aqueduct
  
 Segovia




 
Built in the 1st century AD, this aqueduct is nearly 900m long and 34m high, and is still in use. instead of huge arches on a few piers, it is a veritable lacework of stone with 128 arches. Photo by Byunggu Yu on 1992.

 

Cathedral
  
 Segovia

  


 The last Gothic Cathedral to be built in Spain on 1558.The Cathedral of Segovia is located in one corner of the Plaza Mayor, at the center of the city. Formerly, it was built close to the 'Alcazar'. This made difficult the war operations, being destroied during the war of the Communities, and rebuilt at its present location. Emperor Charles I of Spain and V of Germany wanted it to be built again. Architect Juan Gil de Ontain (the same who built Salamanca's Cathedral) begun it at 1525. Photo by Byunggu Yu on 1992.

 

Church of Saint Martin
  
 Segovia

 

 The Church of Saint Martin is a romanesque one with parts in Spanish-Arabian style, from the X century. It's located in the John the Brave Square, close to the Monument to Juan Bravo, Leader of the Segovian Community, at the 1500 years, during the War of the Communities. Photo by Byunggu Yu on 1992.

 

Church of Saint Stephen
  
 Segovia

 

 It was erected at the beginning of the 13th cent. following the romanic style over an irregular plaza that took its name. With its 53 m of height, it is one of the tallest romanic towers of Spain. The Southern atrium is of exquisite beauty with ten arches and capitols engraved with medieval motifs. Photo by Byunggu Yu on 1992.

 

House of the Point
  
 Segovia



 Constructed in the 15th centry by Don Pedro Lopez of Ayala, chancellor and historian of the Castillian Wars, and later on bought by the Lords of the Lineage of the Sickle, that the story tells, covered the house with diamond points to prevent the continuation of its previous name, 'the House of the Jew'. This relieves provide the house with a different aspect at any hour of the day. Photo by Byunggu Yu on 1992.

 

Monastery
  
 Segovia

 

 Photo by Byunggu Yu on 1992.

 

Street Scene
  
 Segovia

 

 Photo by Byunggu Yu on 1992.