in NEW ZEALAND
from NEW ZEALAND ARCHITECTURE By Peter Shaw
In 1873 Mountfort supervised construction, this church of English architect Sir George Gilbert Scott's designed which was not finally complete until 1904. Mountfort, Benjamin Woolfield (1827-1898), British-born architect, can be considered the flounder of New Zealand's architectural tradition. In 1850, Mountfort arrived at Lyttelton. His first design, a church in Lyttelton, was eventually demolished because inferior materials caused it to crack and sway. This was probably because the builders were unfamiliar with local materials. The Incident greatly damaged Mountfort's reputation as an architect, and he spent the following years as a photographer. In 1873 Mountfort was given the opportunity to design the stages of Christchurch Cathedral. He was later appointed Provincial Architect.
Cranmer Court Apartments
Architect by S.C.Farr. Formerly the Normal School. Canterbury's predominantly Anglican settlement determined that Gothic Revival principles would dominate the city's educational buildings as its churches. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2003.
Architect by Maxwell Bury. The university was built appropriately Scottish Baronial Gothic style. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2003.
Built in wood in Italianate style to house the country's civil service. His preference was Italianate Classicism and he used this style, a four-storeyed structure which occupies almost an entire city block. Its second largest wooden building of the world now. Designed to look like stone, by William Clayton was the official colonial architect responsible for it, and used a modified renaissance style. It was built on reclaimed land and is still government-owned, although leased to Victoria University. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2003.
Dunedin Otago Peninsula/1871
Built by R.A.Lawson. A variety of architectural style are blended in this large house. made rich by gold, was the commercial capital of New Zealand in the 19th century, and it entered the 20th century with more grand houses in stone and brick than any other New Zealand city. The grandest of all stood high on Otago Peninsula, out side of city. William Larnach, the Australian-born politician who built it, modestly called it 'The camp'. After Larnach's death it was made into a mental hospital. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2003.
This house is a magnificent example of colonial New Zealand architecture and was once the famous home of Sir George Grey during the 1800s. The grounds surrounding Mansion House support exotic plants and wildlife-all legacies of ¡°the Governor¡¯s¡± life on the Island. The story began in 1862 when Sir George Grey, Governor of New Zealand purchased Kawau Island. He paid £3,700, and set about creating the estate of his dreams. By 1876, with the help of a leading architect of the day, Frederick Thatcher, Gery had transformed the 20-year-old house, formerly occupied by the manager of the Island's copper mine, into an imposing mansion. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 2000.
North Egmont Camphouse
North Egmont, Taranaki/1860-92
Opened by Messrs Wheetman, Robinson and the Archdeacon Govett. This building is clad with hand made corrugated iron reputed to be the oldest corrugated iron in the world. Also it is reputed to be the oldest remaining example of a prefabricated building in New Zealand and oldest building in a New Zealand National Park. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 21 July 2007.
Mission Estate Winery
198 Church Road Greenmeadows, Napier, Hawkes Bay/1880
In 1851, mission station was established near the Ngaruroro River between Napier and Hastings at Pakowhai. In 1880 a new two storied house was built, it was known as une Grande Maison or the big house and became the home for the early French Marists for three decades. In 2003, Sir Cliff Richard held consert 'Wanted Tour' here. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 8 April 2007.
St Luke's Anglican Church
24 Te Mata Road, Havelock North, Hawkes Bay/1874-1881
Located in the heart of Havelock North. Located in the heart of Havelock North. Thomas Tanner was one of the major landholders on the Heretaunga Plains in the late 19th century. In 1874 he arranged for the construction of an Anglican church in Havelock North. A local builder - George Bee - was contracted to have the job finished in six months. On September 20th that same year the first Bishop of Waiapu, the Right Rev'd William Williams, consecrated the building and named it St Luke's. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 8 April 2007.