in NEW ZEALAND
Changing & Conservative Architecture
Most Photos from NEW ZEALAND ARCHITECTURE By Peter Shaw/Photographs by Robin Morrison
Auckland Town Hall
Auckland Town Hall was opened in 1911 and, after a $33 million restoration in 1997, it has been maintained in its original Italian Renaissance design and Edwardian elegance. Refurbishment design by Jasmax on 1997.
The Grand Chateau
Whakapapa Village, Tongariro National Park, Ruapehu/1929
Since opening in 1929 The Grand Chateau has become a New Zealand landmark. It's widely referred to as the 'Grand Old Lady of the Mountain' and is renowned for its classic elegance. Architect by Herbert Hall, site at the foot of Mt. Ruapehu, this is surely New Zealand's largest and best-known neo-Georgian building. The architect, whose client was the Mount Cook Tourist Company, is said to have modelled it on Canadian Pacific Railways Hotels. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 16 February 2007.
Auckland Grammar School
Architect by R.Atkinson Abbott. The Spanish Mission style was quite exceptional in New Zealand, where educational buildings has usually been in the Gothic style.
Hawera Water Tower
Water tower is 54.21m high, there are 215 steps to the top. It took just over one year to built and was finished on January 1914.
Queen's Park, Wanganui/1915
Architect by Donald Hosie. It was the studied simplicity, relative absence of decorative effects and fine proportions which impressed Samuel Hurst Seager, who judged the architectural competition to design a gallery for the city. Renowned for its neo-classical architecture, the Sarjeant Gallery hosts national and international exhibitions. The building's design was settled through a competitive process in 1915. The assessor for the competition was Samuel Hurst Seager, a prominent architect and lecturer in architecture at the Canterbury College School of Art. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 8 September 2002.
Queen's Park, Wanganui
Photo by Byunguh Yu on 8 September 2002.
Established in 1922.
Auckland Civic Theatre
Architect by Bohringer, Taylor & Johnson of Melbourne. The exterior's fashionable stripped 'skyscraper' styling added to its public appeal. By the mid-1980s the need for a thorough restoration of the building had become clear. New Zealanders watch the fate of this unique atmospheric theatre with great interest. The circle foyer is a riot of luridly lit Moorish and Hindu plaster decoration painted to look like ivory.
Victoria Park Market
Victoria Street West, Auckland/1925
Captain William Hobson bought 3,000 acres of land from local Maori. In 1905 after 7 months of construction, Auckland city's rubbish destructor was finished, the final brick being laid by the Mayor who was hauled up the 125-foot chimney. In 1915 twin stable buildings were erected with accommodation for the 90 workhorses. From 1972, the destructor slowly fell into a state of disrepair and while the Auckland City Council continued to operate their roadside garbage collection from the location until 1981, a new life for the site was needed.
A Scottish settlement 40km south of Wangarei which was first settled in 1853 by Nova Scottish pioneers under the leadership of the reverend Norman McLeod. Main street in Waipu built for visitor.
Chelsea Sugar Factory. Chelsea Sugar has been a household name in New Zealand for more than 110 years. In the early 1880's 160 acres of farmland at Duck Creek in Birkenhead Auckland, was bought for the Chelsea Sugar refinery site. Restructuring of the refinery site began in March 1883 when the ground was levelled, the spoil being used to make 1.5 million bricks near the Harbour Bridge.
Karangahape Road, Auckland
Photo by Benedict Byunguh Yu on July 2007.
Dominion Road, Auckland/1912
Built in 1912. Photo by Benedict Byunguh Yu on July 2007.
St.Mary of the Angels
Boulcott Street, Wellington/1918
Architect by Frederick de Jersey Clere, well known for church and other designs in the lower North Island. The use of steel-reinforced concrete permitted the particularly delicate proportions of its Perpendicular Gothic detailing.It was an innovative technique when the church opened in 1922. The rose window and twin tower are reminiscent of European cathedrals. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2000.
Old Arts Building
University of Auckland, Auckland/1929
Architect by Roy Alstan Lippincott (1885-1969/born in Pennsylvania) and Edward Billson. The controversy occasioned by this prize-winning design from an American architect has seldom been equalled in New Zealand's architectural history. The integration of the building's English collegiate Gothic detailing is one of its most admirable features.
Architect by Gummer & Ford. This building having a mirror image on the other side of Queen Street. The splayed corner and tower with pagoda roof are still a focal point in Queen Street. This building shows the disposition of Portland stone, marble, plaster and bronze over the building's facade. Much was made of the fact that electric rather than hydraulic lifts had enabled the building to be constructed more rapidly than was usual. The reinforced-concrete frame is clearly visible.
Auckland Railway Station
Architect by Gummer & Ford. The scale and expense of this building was quite new for the time but the building was never to realise its intended purpose. The lobby was conceived on the grandest scale using marble and mosaic tiles. The press of the day made much of the fact that Auckland's station now exceeded Dunedin's in its splendour. Detail of central clock showing terracotta crests and classically derived ornament in terracotta tiles, including the Roman fasces which appears on many Gummer & Ford's building.
Hill Memorial & Lift Tower
Located opposite the Wanganui City Bridge at the bottom of Victoria Avenue, the Durie Hill pedestrian tunnel leads to the unique elevator. The Elevator, built in 1919, is the only erathbound elevator in NZ and one of only two in the world. The 33.5 metre Memorial Tower is built from fossilised shell rock. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 8 September 2002.
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Auckland War Memorial Domain/1922-29
Architect by Grierson, Aimer & Darffin on 1922-29. The competition to design New Zealand's largest war memorial won in 1922. It was to be built on the spectacular hill site overlooking the harbour which Potatau Te Wherowhero, later the first Maori king, had named Pukekawa, the hill of bitter memories, to commemorate the place where the northern Ngapuhi tribe under Hongi Hika had made their final peace with Waikato, led by Te Wherowhero himself, in 1828. It is the most monumental Greek Revival building in New Zealand. Noel Lane Architects was NZIA 2000 national award winers about refulbishment.
Winter Garden of Auckland War Museum
Auckland War Memorial Domain/1913
In commemoration of the Auckland Industrial Agricultural & Mining Exhibition 1913-14. This building was erected and these grounds were laid out from the profits earned by the Auckland Exhibition which was opende by His excellency the Governor The earl of liverpool and The Right Hon.The prime minister,W.F.Massey on the 1st of December 1913. Photo by Byunguh Yu on 31 May 2009.
Mt Eden, Balmoral Road Auckland/1930
IPhoto by Byunguh Yu(#1/21 July 2005, #2/4 March 2006).