in NEW ZEALAND
Most Photos from NEW ZEALAND ARCHITECTURE By Peter Shaw/Photographs by Robin Morrison
Masoic Hotel/Goverment Inn
Architect by W.J.Prouse. Many victims of the Napier earthquake had been killed by falling masonry parapets and ornamental overhangs. The severely stripped-back style of this hotel is typical of the new Napier. Napier's Art Deco Conference Center & Landmark Hotel is main building in downtown.
Church of the Good Shepherd
Lake Tekapo, Mackenzie/1935
This Church was built to the glory of God as a memorial to the pioneers of the Mackenzie Country. Congregations of the three main Churches worship regularly in the Church, which offers awe inspiring views of the lake and mountains through the altar window. The foundation stone was laid by HRH the Duke of Gloucester, on January 15 1935. Last photo is boundary dog statue. Photo by Jaewook Yu(#1/2007), Byunguh Yu(#2,3/August 1995)
Christchurch Railway Station
Architect by Gray Young in 1939, completed 1954. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2003.
Milford Sound, Fiordland/1954
The tunnel runs 1270m at approximately a 1:10 gradient down to the western portal. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2003.
Christchurch International Airport
Architect by Paul Pascoe. The English Modernist training Pascoe had received in London during the 1930s served him well here. The building, with its horizontal concave elevation, gabled canopy, and slim vertical control tower topped with on octagonal control room, shows how adept he was at manipulating a variety of shapes into a unified whole. Photo by Eunseok Kang.
Wanganui War Memorial Hall
Architect by Geoffrey Newman, Gordon Smith and Anthony Greenhough. A doctrinaire Corbusian mass entered by means of a doorway recessed behind the line of pilotis.
Architect by King & Dawson. The butterfly roof, a popular design eature of the time, has a structural purpose. Light floods the pool from the two glazed side elevations. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2000.
Queen Street, Auckland/1958-62
Architect by Thorpe, Cutter, Pickmere & Douglas. The glass curtain wall looks as smart today as it did in 1962. The design architect, Jack Manning, used polished stainless steel to frame the glass panels which cover the building's entire upper surface.
Auckland City Council Administration Centre
Aotea Square, Auckland/1954-66
Architect by Tibor K. Donner, Auckland City Council Architect. This was to be one of a series of long slab buildings surrounding the square, but for reasons of prestige a tower block was built instead. The curtain walls are made up of anodised aluminium and a variety of differently textured and coloured glass panels.
Student Union Building
University of Auckland, Auckland/1965-73
Architect by Warren & Mahoney. These buildings, which include the Maidment Theatre, were built in stages and exhibit a Brutalist/ Constructivist ethic. Later attempts to enliven their surfaces with colour have merely confused the issue.
Christchurch Town Hall
Designed by Warren & Mahoney. Modernist in the way in which its functions determined the forms used, this hall is restrained in its exhibition of exterior structure. The height and shape of the oval auditorium were determined by acoustics.
Michael Fowler Centre
Architect by Warren & Mahoney.This is similar to the practice's Christchurch hall in capacity, plan and appearance.
Wellington's most noticeable building is the Beehive(1964-82), concept by Sir.Basil Spence, completed by the Government Architect. As the 1965 addition to Parliament Buildings has become general known. Photo by Byunguh Yu on February 2003.
Architect by Price, Adams, Dodd. Sitting with slim elegance on its narrow site, this building is typical of the work done by a practice whose interest in sculptural architectural forms was paramount.
Wanganui Departmental Building
Architect by the Government Architect. Almost as if the architect wished to reinforce the view of the governments housed within it as unapproachable bureaucracies, the notion of exposed structure is taken to an unacceptable extreme.
New Zealand Temple
Waiouru, Tongariro National Park
The Rothmans Building/National Tobacco Co.Ltd
World famous for unique architecture, the legacy of the great earthquake of 1931 that virtually destroyed the entire city center, with a lass of 258 lives in the region.
St.Vincent Paul Parish Church
Milford, North Shore City Auckland/1949
Located near the Milford Shopping Center. This Catholic Church is small and simple works.
Golf Club House
East Coast Road, Campells Bay, Auckland
Pupuke is one of the oldest clubs in the Auckland area being established in 1914. The course has undergone and continues to undergo improvement and development to provide members and visitors with good golfing facilities. The clubhouse has been totally upgraded and provides full catering and bar service.
New Napier Arch/Esplande
Napier, Hawke's Bay
Looking through the Napier Arch toward the Veronica Sun Walk on Marine Parade.
National War Memorial
Buckle Street, Wellington/1932
The carillon tower is a landmark in this part of Wellington; It was completed in 1932. Restrained art deco in style,it followed the concept of the Peace Tower in Ottawa, the Canadian capital. The designers here were the Auckland firm of GUmmer & Ford. The Hall of Memories of the National War Memorial behind the tower was completed in 1964. The carillon holds 65 bells.
Tower was memories of the War at the center of Palmerston North City.
The bridge, which links the city with the North Shore is 1,097m long, and its main span is about 245m long. Nicknamed 'the coathanger'.
Northshore City, Auckland/1959
On the edge of Lake Pupuke, is used daily as a general theatre and exhibition gallery.
Photo by Byunguh Yu on 1995.
Raglan Municipal Building
Photo by Byunguh Yu on December 2007.
Kawakawa, Bay of Islands
Photo by Byunguh Yu on 16 April 2001.